Re: File Extension Madness

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 03:14:33 CEST

> > I think it is reasonable that if a user types .doc it would be useful to
> > automatically give them a word document.
>
> Now we're back on track!
>
> This is not the current AbiWord behaviour. And people like Dom do not
> want this forced on them as you suggest.

given how many Gnome applications have Save As
Type: Automatically (aka "by Extension")

[NOTE i think the common "by Extesion" behaviour is mostly good but sucks
because if you fail to provide an extension it does nothing. if you do
not provide an extesion the document should Automatically be saved in the
default file format in our case Abiword .abw and if you do provide a file
extension then it should be used].

I'd be surprised if Dom really objected to someone else providing the
necessary patches.

- Alan

PS very tired, agitated, best say no more...