Help needed from Abiword developers

From: Wookey <wookey_at_aleph1.co.uk>
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 03:57:47 CEST

Hi people, As I think I posted to this list earlier - we are using Abiword
in a new ARM-based device with an 800x600 touchscreen. It's aimed at
'average' users, so we're doing a lot of UI work to make things as
idiot-proof as possible, and familiar to people who normally use Windows
all day.

Things are going quite well, but we have a number of showstopper bugs in
Abiword which we haven't got enough resource to fix.

We need help from you guys. Anyone who has some significant time to do some
debugging on the following over the next week or two would be eligible for
real folding cash in exchange :-)

These are the most egregious bugs we've currently got:

1) Speed. Abiword scrolls very slowly. Is there anything that can be done
to improve this? If you hold down a cursor key to get to a particular line
abi can then spend another 20 seocnds scrolling miles past where you wanted
to get to. Some changes to make it throw away extra cursor keys it doesn't
have time to deal with whilst scrolling would be a huge improvement.

2) Word import problems - e.g. Any style that has 'space after' gets munged on
import into Abiword asther space-after is set to 0. (this is in 2.0.9)

3) Pressing ctrl-I or pushing the italics button make abiword segfault.

4) The first character after each space in a new document creates a new
document. (after about 10 words abi tends to crash if you persist in typing
new words). This is a fairly crazy bug, and is presumably arm-specific.

5) The insert date and time dialog comes up blank with nothing written on
the 'Insert' button. If you click it then the window content appears
momentarily.

So, that gives some idea of the things that aren't working - there are
plenty more :-)

Is anyone able to help, or suggest possible reasons or debuging routes for
any of the above? (We should be able to get a backtrace for 3 in GDB with a
suitable build).

Thanx

Wookey