Re: SearchBar in Abi

From: Jordi Mas <jmas_at_softcatala.org>
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 13:36:10 CET

> I think maybe it was GoBe office that had a document search bar like you
> are proposing but the downside of having searchbar is the space it takes
> up on screen and unless you are doing a lot of searching it is a waste to
> have it open all the time. Wasted screen space is less of an issue if you
> have a search widget on an existing toolbar rather than a whole new
> toolbar.

Firefox has a decent solution for this. If you press Ctrl+F the toolbar is
shown automatically.

> I have a few questions:
> Do you plan on having a whole seperate toolbar for this or do you plan to
> add it as another widget on the Extra Toolbar?

Right now, it's a complete new toolbar that you can enable/disable like the
rest of the Abiword toolbars.

> Will this functionality be a replacement for the Find and Replace Dialog?

No. I think that we should keep the Find and Replace dialog box.

> Do you intend to provide a button to activate the search?

I will like to be able to make visible with a shortcut and using Menus.

> (Not all users are comfortable without the equivalent of a 'Go' button)

Well, I plan to discuss with you guys what we think is better and which
functionality we think we should include and then implement it. I personally
like a lot in the way that the searchbar is implemented in Firefox.

Jordi,

--
Jordi Mas i Hernāndez
Homepage and LiveJournal at http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas