Re: CocoaAbi ruler visual improvements (+ rant)

From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster_at_alinameridon.plus.com>
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 08:47:09 CET

On 23 Dec 2004, at 01:00, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> Op wo, 22-12-2004 te 22:17 +0000, schreef Francis James Franklin:
>> On 22 Dec 2004, at 20:55, J.M. Maurer wrote:
>>> so the ruler is not 100% xp anymore ? we then have even more to
>>> maintain... hmmm
>>
> most issues (like drawing imperfections), will, and have been fixed by
> my "double" patch.

In this case I'm not worried about drawing imperfections; this is a
UI/theme issue (disproportionately important to Mac users). Currently
these widgets are created by drawing a sequence of lines. Excuse me?
Lines? We are creating pseudo-3D widgets/controls using lines? (The
whole purpose of AbiWord is to have a native look and feel on each
platform, and where possible to use native interface objects, so why we
are going out of our way to create an alien 3D widget is beyond me.)
It's horribly inefficient and impossible to customize.

90% of the criticism of the MacOSX version we got after the /.
announcement was todo with user interface issues. I've "fixed" most of
these (many non-trivial) as best as I can, even though this means
departing occasionally from fully-xp-AbiWord paradigms because
ultimately the people we are appealing to are not the small handful of
people lucky enough to use AbiWord on multiple platforms but rather Mac
users who are used to Mac applications...

<rant focus="mac reviewers">
... and I am getting so very tired of people who come along and say
"clearly the developers have never used a Cocoa application because the
interface really sucks and doesn't conform to Apples guidelines. I'll
wait for the Cocoa version of AbiWord." Huh? Well, I may not be an
expert at Apple UI expectations, but anyone who thinks you can develop
applications for MacOSX without ever using a Cocoa application should
be sent to a special circle of hell and forced to talk to each other
for the rest of eternity.
</rant>

> * If we make XP changes to the 'ruler widgets', then the OSX bitmaps
> will be out of sync.

Well, we shouldn't be making any serious changes in 2.2.x, and I may
like to change this completely in 2.4.

> * How are you gonna handle variable size widgets, like the column gap
> widget?

Since I'm currently using a background fill-pattern of a polygon rather
than a simple bitmap this is a non-issue.

Regards, Frank