Re: CocoaAbi ruler visual improvements (+ rant)

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 13:54:25 CET

Hi Frank,
          Let me say once again how much I appreciate you working through
all OSX issues.

Regarding this particular thing:

> <rant focus="mac reviewers">
> ... and I am getting so very tired of people who come along and say
> "clearly the developers have never used a Cocoa application because the
> interface really sucks and doesn't conform to Apples guidelines. I'll
> wait for the Cocoa version of AbiWord." Huh? Well, I may not be an
> expert at Apple UI expectations, but anyone who thinks you can develop
> applications for MacOSX without ever using a Cocoa application should
> be sent to a special circle of hell and forced to talk to each other
> for the rest of eternity.
> </rant>

Well do the best you can and respond to particular *specific* critiques. I
don't remember seeing much of this on slashdot. Maybe AbiWord is getting
reviewed on other websites?

In the case of slashdot there is a class of posters who just like to get
their posts noticed and that this particular meme is "along party lines"
even though it maybe wildly inaccurate.

Much like the tiresome "GIMP is not photoshop, how dare you even mention
these programs in the same sentence" crap....

Anyway, be of good cheer, last I looked the OSX port was massively
downloaded without a really big effort to hit the mac sites yet :-)
The slashdotting was also the first chance large numbers of OSX users have
"kicked the tires" of AbiWord and you got lots of great bug reports from
them.