[Fwd: Re: Commit (STABLE): Require gucharmap < 1.3.0]

From: Marc Maurer (j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 13:33:20 EST

    Hi Noah (and Jeff),

    While porting AbiWord to GTK2.4 using the latest GNOME Dev release
    (2.5.5), I came accross an API incompatibility in gucharmap.
    Somewhere between the gucharmap release 1.0.0 and 1.3.0, the function

    GtkWidget * gucharmap_charmap_new (void);

    changed to

    GtkWidget * gucharmap_charmap_new (GuchapmapChapters *chapters);

    This issue should be fixed imo, since GNOME releases are supposed to be
    API (and ABI) compatible.

    Cheers,
      Marc Maurer

    --
    Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>

    attached mail follows:

    > Require gucharmap < 1.3.0 (yes, lt)
    >
    > CVS:
    > CVS: Enter Log. Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed automatically
    > CVS:
    > CVS: Committing in .
    > CVS:
    > CVS: Modified Files:
    > CVS: Tag: ABI-2-0-0-STABLE
    > CVS: ./ac-helpers/abi-gucharmap.m4
    > CVS:

    This really sucks. Gnome is meant to ABI and API stable over the whole 2.x
    series. guncharmap is now part of the gnome platform so it is meant to
    conform. Send an email to the gucharmap maintainer reminding him of this.
    Might be worth CCing Jeff Waugh too.

    Martin