Re: [Fwd: Re: Commit (STABLE): Require gucharmap < 1.3.0]

From: Marc Maurer (j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 15:44:43 EST

    Hi Noah,

    Thanks for the quick response...

    > gucharmap is part of the gnome desktop, but not part of the
    > developer platform, so the guarantees about API/ABI
    > compatibility donĒt apply.

    Great :-/

    > In fact there have been breakages
    > in almost every release. I figure itĒs not a huge problem
    > since AFAIK abiword is the only program (other than
    > gucharmap) that uses libgucharmap, and the abi folks hadnĒt
    > complained until now. IĒm willing to discuss setting a
    > policy.

    Well, what about a policy to make the releases API compatible? :-) We
    can't ifdef our code for every release of gucharmap (well, we can, but
    we won't).

    It would make life much better for the application developer (read: us),
    and for the user, since we don't have to fallback to our builtin, less
    featurefull, character map.

    Cheers,
      Marc