[Fwd: Re: Re: WordPerfect table of contents dialog]

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 09:30:22 EST

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: Re: WordPerfect table of contents dialog
    From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    Date: Fri, February 27, 2004 1:29 am
    To: <william.lachance_at_sympatico.ca>

    >> From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
    >> Date: 2004/02/26 Thu AM 01:35:30 EST
    >> To: william.lachance_at_sympatico.ca
    >> CC: abiword-dev_at_abisource.com
    >> Subject: Re: WordPerfect table of contents dialog
    >>
    >> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 16:23, william.lachance_at_sympatico.ca wrote:
    >> > Not sure if this is helpful or not, but here's the WP table of
    >> contents dialog..
    >> >
    >> > I personally think it's kind of nifty, but then I've never had to
    >> actually use it.
    >> >

    >> I don't think it exposes all the features of our AbiWord TOC.
    >>
    >> It's missing:
    >>
    >> 1. Different label styles (numeric,alphabetic,roman etc.)
    >> 2. Ability to put Text before and after each number.
    >> eg. Chapter 1
    >> 1 Section
    >> 3. Seems like you can't change style used to fill the TOC
    >> 4. Seems like you can't change the tab leader from "....."
    >
    > Oh, but it does all of those things. Those properties are defined
    > through the standard WordPerfect style editor. Maybe we could do the
    > same (or similar?).
    >
    > I'll try to send some more screenshots tomorrow.

    Hmm how many Table of contents does WP allow? Are the Fill and display
    styles hard wired?

    The benfit of allowing the fill and display styles to be user selectable
    is that users can define Tables or Indexs of different headings.

    So you could have table of contents as per usual, a table figure of
    captions, a table of equations. tables of any styles you like in the
    document.

    The AbiWord FormatTOC dialog formats the *selected* table (although the
    code to select a TOC isn't written yet.)

    My vision is that "Insert Table of Contents" inserts a standard Table of
    Contents, then the user can modify it to their desire. The gives good
    coverage for the 90% usage case and leaves the total power user the
    option of formatting it to their hearts desire.