Re: The TOC Dialogue

From: Alan Horkan (horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 07:13:35 EST

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Charles Goodwin wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:19:18 +0000
    > From: Charles Goodwin <charlie_at_xwt.org>
    > To: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
    > Cc: abiword-dev_at_abisource.com
    > Subject: Re: The TOC Dialogue
    >
    > On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 05:19, msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
    > > Hmm this dialog also doesn't expose all the functionality of
    > > our feature.
    >
    > You missed my point entirely...
    >
    > A giant complex dialogue that you'd need a doctorate in in order to be
    > able to use effectively is not the way forward. You seem to be
    > forgetting the target audience for AbiWord, the technically illiterate.

    The archetypal Abiword user has always been described as a 'church
    secretary', and I expect your lady-farmer would be very much among the
    archetypal user. I prefer the term 'normal user' to technically
    illiterate ;) (and shouldn't that be technologically illiterate? :)

    Keep trying the mockups, and if you haven't already done so make sure to
    take a look at the mother of all word processors Corel Word Perfect.

    Sincerely

    Alan H.