Re: AbiWord, the GPL, and MS Visual C Runtime

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd_at_ctc.net)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 06:29:54 EST

    ..
    >On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 22:10, msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
    >> I didn't realize that getext has these rather obnoxious clauses in it.
    >
    >uh... what clauses? AFAICT gettext is dual licensed with GPL/LGPL.
    >AbiWord is licensed with GPL, so we share the same clauses (modulo the
    >dual license).
    >
    >I guess there must be some confusion, somewhere.

    Legally, gettext is licensed under the sames terms as AbiWord,
    and so I was just verifying the opinions of Dom, Jordi, & Martin
    regarding my interpretation of use of the MS runtime DLLs,
    considering the gettext readme claims contrary to what I believe
    (the FAQ entry you point to concurs with my understanding).

    Dual licensed? I only see the GPL, not the LGPL in the
    latest gettext tarball. I'll have to look again.

    ..

    Please discontinue this thread, Dom has already responded to
    my concerns. [Any further discussion should be sent to
    the gettext maintainers regarding the text in their readme,
    or start a new thread with appropriate title, such as the
    merits or problems of switching AbiWord to use gettext.]

    Thanks,
    Jeremy