Re: Linux User & Developer Expo 2004 in London

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam (rama_at_ukfsn.org)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 14:09:23 EST

    Hi Tomas,

    London caught my attention.
    Me Londoner.

    I've been lurking (sometimes disruptively :) to meet you.
    To help on Tamil and possibly 'indic' support.
    The peopleI wanted to amass for indic asked me to do it myself :(
    They all like OOo and high level politics.
    [I have lots more ideas and plans to get something back from all largely
    useless Indology departments in the London universities and all. There
    is something happenning at City University and Unicode the last time I
    looked in to this]

    At your service except busy for the next few weeks.
    You can always let me know what needs done where to look etc.

    As for the expo it was very good this year with a very impressive .org
    willage with small apps like Dasher , dyne:bolic (live CD for
    multimedia), Rose Garden NetBSD!, Debian, small ISPs (competition too :)
    and keen people.

    What I observed as a welcome sign is relatively empty coorporate stands
    and AFFS.org.uk etc distributing lots of leaflets.
    Even GNU sold some dead ugly T-shirts :)... but a big crowd puller that
    particular stand.

    Though people talk OOo politics all the time there was one interesting
    inquiry went around looking for support for a festival of IT for the
    voluntary sector in Brighton this Summer.
    I think Abiword might have been very useful for them.
    As for possible competition I think you will have OOo there big time
    with political backing...
    see: http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/libraries/

    Also recently I got a discussion to end up on a quasi Gnome-UK saying
    they are around sometime back on fsfe-uk_at_gnu.org list. Telsa would be
    the contact.
    That could possibly be a support base for you. no?
    With Dasher it should attract people to the future

    Any help needed do not hesitate to ask.

    Best regards,

    Ramanan