RFC: Pushing Math support into plugins

From: Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 22:17:00 CEST

Hi there,

While 'we' are working on support equations, some people argued (dom,
mg, others) that it should not be _hard-wired_ into Abi's internals like
it currently is done. This means supporting maths (and other things in
the future like vector graphics) via plugins.

I agree, but it is currently not possible. Our layout engine does not
support layouting arbitrairy (and possible unknown) objects.

IMO, we need to fix that. We need to have a mechanism that allows us to
layout arbitrairy objects that abi may, or may not be able to display.

One way to achieve this I outline in this small writeup:

  http://130.89.227.64/uwog/abi_object.txt

I'd like some feedback on this (martin ?). If this is indeed the way to
go, then we should go that way now (imo), instead of later, because we
simply will not bother to fix it later.

Bye!
  Marc

--