Re: Date of 2.2 release.

From: Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 15:03:08 CEST

Since I'm not officially dead yet:

DISCLAMER: This is just _in my opinion_. Feel very free to disagree.

[snip]

> These are:
>
> a. Make text boxes default to position relative to column (rather than
> paragraph which is what we do now.)

Sure, this is a fixup of an existing feature. Would be nice.

> b. Implement sum rows/columns in tables (one day to implement at most.)

We are no spreadsheet, and therefor, I'd like to see other stuff fixed
first (like, say, we can't print normally with our GTK build and Win32
build for about 1.5 years now, which is kinda totally stupid for a WP.)

> c. Implement Text to tables (two days to implement at most)

idem

> d. Implement Sort table rows/columns (Maybe two days maybe longer)

idem

We _have_ to be harsh to ourselves about not breaking feature freezes.
I'd say, add it to a personal tree and commit it immediately after the
2.2 branch is created. Jep, that would push these features to 2.4, but
hey, we can't have all. I think people appreciate a non-crashing WP more
than a crashing WP with said features.

> I *might* be able to import text boxes from MS Word by then. I suspect
> that we have much of what need already in wv and ie_imp_MSWord_97 but
> until the whole issue is understood it's really hard to put a time-line on
> this.

This would be nice, but I can't guess how hard that would be...

> So the upshot of this is that I think we can seriously aim for a 2.2
> release on August 31st. I feel confident we will have a wonderful program
> that we can all be proud of by then. I'm certain that we will still have
> bugs on August 31st but there is a good chance they will be small enough
> that we can live with them.

31 Aug. would be nice, but then we have to move all our resources to
fixing crashers and the like. We don't want to hear "Yeah, Abi is nice,
but it so unstable, so I moved to OOo" again.

But it might be doable.

Marc