Re: Abiword copyright issue

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 20:52:25 CEST

Jordi,

You may or may not know that I now "own" the AbiWord
trademarks and copyrights originally held by
SourceGear.

It is true that I don't own all the copyrights, though
I probably own a majority of them. Since the
SourceGear work was done as "work for hire", I now own
Paul's, Jeff's, Bob's, Eric's, ... claims of
copyright.

It is not legally wrong (or "plain wrong"...) to say
that I, amongst other people, maintain copyrights on
the AbiWord source. If it said, "Copyright Jordi Mas
and others" it would still be legally correct and
factually correct.

I am fine with changing the copyright message to the
following:

"Copyright (c) 1998-2004, the AbiSource community"

I do, however, solely own the AbiWord trademarks. The
"About" dialog and the webpage should mention that.

"AbiSource, AbiSuite, and AbiWord are trademarks of
Dom Lachowicz. All other product names, company names,
or logos cited herein are property of their respective
owners."

Dom