Re: Date of 2.2 release.

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 18:39:02 CEST

msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

>OK Folks,
> We seem to have reached concensus. The date of the 2.2 code freeze
>will be August 31st. If there are features that are not ready
>these will be commented out of the GUI. (What ready is will be
>defined as we approach August 31st.)
>
>We make a release candidate and if there are no terrible bugs in the
>release candiate we'll release 2.2 ASAP after August 31st - modulo other
>GNOME-office apps being ready near then.
>
>ie If we Gnumeric and GNOME-DB is close to being ready for a main release,
>we'll delay 2.2 for up to a few weeks to synch with them.
>
>Cheers
>
>Martin

Great! Given some time, I can get Gnumeric to work on Windows, and even
install, by that point, I do believe. (Got the tor lllllllll packages
the other day on somebody else's connection :) )

The only thing that concerns me for Windows, besides printing, of
course, is the fact that I just found out last night that Mail Merge
doesn't work on Windows. (Because it doesn't print from the GUI, and
the command-line printing, AFAIK, doesn't work on Windows...). The menu
option is sitting right there, tools | Mail Merge... , but all it does,
as far as I can tell, is pop up a dialog to open the merge file (It
doesn't keep the field names around for Insert | Mail Merge Field..., if
it does something else, it's news to me and the users). I'm so tempted
to just find where that print command is handled from the command line
and place it nicely in the code that handles Tools | Mail Merge, except
for the fact that I can't find either place.

Anyway, if I (or somebody else) doesn't figure out how to do this, I
support ifdef'ing all Mail Merge code out of Windows. It's bad to not
have a feature that people want, but it's far worse to look like there's
a feature, when it doesn't really work the way they want it to.

(Yes, QA hordes: I filed a bug in bugzilla :) It's #7045 )

Ryan