[Fwd: Re: WYSIWYG?]

From: Marc Maurer (j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 15:14:04 EST

    Some interesting Win32/XP (our kind) thingies

    attached mail follows:

    Thanks for the reply, Marc

    I am running AbiWord v2.0.5 in Windows XP Home Edition
    that is current with service packs and updates.

    The reason for my critical eye is that I was in the business for
    over 40 years (graphic design, typesetting, etc.), and owned
    a printing business for 20 of those years.

    I have just spent some time comparing AbiWord with MSWord
    and, just for the hell of it, Pagemaker 6.5 and I will now admit
    that my initial disappointment with Abiword's screen display of
    fonts was not totally justified. Comparing the same paragraph
    of text in the three mentioned programs has demonstrated to
    me that the differences in screen display are not that great.
    Pagemaker was the best, of course, and MSWord was only slightly
    behind, and AbiWord came in third. My test font was Times New
    Roman in 10 pt.

    To see what I am talking about, type the word "women" in both
    AbiWord and MS Word (10 pt Times New Roman) and then zoom
    both to 200%. When I do this the difference in character spacing
    is very apparent.

    One significant problem I did discover, however, is that when
    setting the left page margin to 1", both Pagemaker and MSWord
    gave me that margin when I printed out the paragraph. Abiword
    gave me a margin closer to 7/8".

    Secondly, when setting both right and left-hand margins to 1" for
    an 8-1/2" wide page the net line length of justified text should
    be 6-1/2" which was correct when my paragraph was printed in
    Pagemaker and MSWord. AbiWord, on the other hand, gave me
    a text length of 6-3/8".

    Another curious thing is that Pagemaker gives me a snazzy
    apostrophe whereas both AbiWord and MSWord give me an
    apostrophe that is not so professional looking. lol.

    I like AbiWord and will work with it a little more. Anything
    to wean dependancy on MS products is a step in the right direction.

    Bill