Re: [Fwd: Re: WYSIWYG?]

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 15:17:42 EST

    > Some interesting Win32/XP (our kind) thingies

    This is not really Win32 specific. Namely:

    1) There seems to be a potential bug in the
    justification code.
    2) We don't do Kerning. We knew this already.
    3) He didn't enable "smart quotes".

    Nothing to see here. Move along...

    Dom

> [...]
    > fonts was not totally justified. Comparing the same
    > paragraph
    > of text in the three mentioned programs has
    > demonstrated to
    > me that the differences in screen display are not
    > that great.
    > Pagemaker was the best, of course, and MSWord was
    > only slightly
    > behind, and AbiWord came in third. My test font was
    > Times New
    > Roman in 10 pt.
    >
    > To see what I am talking about, type the word
    > "women" in both
    > AbiWord and MS Word (10 pt Times New Roman) and then
    > zoom
    > both to 200%. When I do this the difference in
    > character spacing
    > is very apparent.
    >
    > One significant problem I did discover, however, is
    > that when
    > setting the left page margin to 1", both Pagemaker
    > and MSWord
    > gave me that margin when I printed out the
    > paragraph. Abiword
    > gave me a margin closer to 7/8".
    >
    > Secondly, when setting both right and left-hand
    > margins to 1" for
    > an 8-1/2" wide page the net line length of justified
    > text should
    > be 6-1/2" which was correct when my paragraph was
    > printed in
    > Pagemaker and MSWord. AbiWord, on the other hand,
    > gave me
    > a text length of 6-3/8".
    >
    > Another curious thing is that Pagemaker gives me a
    > snazzy
    > apostrophe whereas both AbiWord and MSWord give me
    > an
    > apostrophe that is not so professional looking. lol.
    >
    > I like AbiWord and will work with it a little more.
    > Anything
    > to wean dependancy on MS products is a step in the
    > right direction.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > Marc Maurer wrote:
    >
    > >No you are not. The problem however is that our
    > primary windows coder
    > >can't reproduce it. Once he could reproduce the
    > caret errors, the could
    > >fix them.
    > >
    > >Can you describe your EXACT system you are seeing
    > this problem on? Ie.
    > >Which version of Windows, which service packs
    > installed, which version
    > >of AbiWord, and other information that might be
    > relevant...
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > > Marc
    > >
    > >Op di 09-03-2004, om 19:13 schreef Bill:
    > >
    > >>The text caret problem I inquired about a few days
    > ago has
    > >>been corrected nicely with the new release. But
    > now I am a little
    > >>disappointed with how the program handles the
    > screen display of
    > nearly WYSIWYG and
    > >>certainly not comparable to other modern-day word
    > processors.
    > >>
    > >>Am I the only one who finds this to be a

    =====
    I think the problem with the Democratic Party in general is that they've been so afraid to lose they're willing to say whatever it takes to win. And once you're willing to say whatever it takes to win, you lose. - Howard Dean

    http://www.deanforamerica.com/