Re: Copy/Cut and paste totally broken?

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 15:56:30 EST

    > > RTF import / export should be considered as a
    > lossy process.
    >
    > Shouldn't AWML be at the center of everything since
    > surely all
    > import/export algorithms are available to/from AWML?
    >
    > That way you only have 1 format to deal with
    > internally, whilst
    > everything else is simply an import/export filter
    > away. I assumed that
    > was how AbiWord worked - but Martin is implying
    > otherwise.

    Internally, it all really is AWML. A primary
    historical reason for using RTF on the clipboard was
    to keep us honest - we need to inter-operate with
    other big apps. Seeing as how the .DOC spec is
    god-awful, we use RTF. Our support for reading and
    writing RTF has to be top-notch if we are to survive.

    Now, having RTF on the clipboard is a good thing. I
    think that it's a preferable thing to have it there -
    a ton of win32 apps speak RTF. It also come close to
    our internal representation.

    So this isn't a discussion about removing RTF, but
    adding AWML on the clipboard as well. It's not a
    terrible idea, but it will take some amount of work to
    get going and then a large amount of testing. I've
    laid a lot of the framework necessary for reading any
    format from the clipboard. That too needs more
    testing. Is it a 2.2 project? I'm not sure. I suppose
    patches will speak.

    Dom

    =====
    I think the problem with the Democratic Party in general is that they've been so afraid to lose they're willing to say whatever it takes to win. And once you're willing to say whatever it takes to win, you lose. - Howard Dean

    http://www.deanforamerica.com/