Re: Copy/Cut and paste totally broken?

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 21:25:28 EST

    >> for
    >> >
    >> > I'm not. We *need* excellent RTF import/export as our primary
    >> > compatibility with other WP's. Using RTF on the clipboard enforces
    >> this.
    >>
    >> No. It just screw us up and make us have a data model that stick to
    >> RTF's, which by anyway is not the best idea.
    >
    > Not that my opinion counts for much (yet) but I agree with Hub,
    > especially (but not just because of) the following reason:
    >
    >> RTF import / export should be considered as a lossy process.

    Actually where AbiWord has features in excess of RTF I've speficically
    extended RTF to make the process lossess for AbiWord. Up and including 2.0
    I think saving to an RTF was pretty close to lossless.

    > Shouldn't AWML be at the center of everything since surely all
    > import/export algorithms are available to/from AWML?
    >
    > That way you only have 1 format to deal with internally, whilst
    > everything else is simply an import/export filter away. I assumed that
    > was how AbiWord worked - but Martin is implying otherwise.

    All imp/exp from AbiWord goes through filters. However the AWML format is
    just an XML-ized markup of the AbiWord document, (What we call the
    piecetable), so it's extremely easy to write lossless imp/exp for it and
    we can extend the format as we wish as AbiWord acquires new features.

    When I did the AbiWord table implementation, I actually wrote the importer
    before implementing "Insert Table" from the GUI. It took less than 1 hour.

    Doing the RTF imp/exp took well over 1 month.

    Martin