Re: Updates for AbiWord Manual: Does someone want to commit these?

From: Alan Horkan (horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 06:54:02 EST

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Mark Gilbert wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:59:29 -0500
    > From: Mark Gilbert <mg_abimail_at_yahoo.com>
    > To: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
    > Cc: AbiWord Developers <abiword-dev_at_abisource.com>
    > Subject: Re: Updates for AbiWord Manual: Does someone want to commit
    > these?
    >
    > I'll take this.
    >
    > On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 20:37, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
    > > Hello there! Prompted by a message on the user list, and some talk in
    > > the channel, I've gotten to work updating the manual for 2.2. Attached
    >
    > And I am getting to work fixing the website.
    >
    > > is a diff for several of the ABW files in the Abiword-docs module. I
    > > did not update the .INFO files, because I do not know the format.
    >
    > k...I think it's pretty self explanatory but that's fine, IŽll check it
    > before commit.
    >
    > > Furthermore, I did not know if I was supposed to run the generation
    >
    > Nope.
    >
    > > scripts, and which ones I should run, if any. However, I did figure
    > > that the originals are in the ABW files.
    > >

    > That takes some people much longer (-:
    >
    > > Changed in this update:
    > > Partially rewritten opening page introductions for additionally
    > > confident sound, a little more professional, maybe, as well as updates
    > > since original authorship.
    > > Corrected spelling and grammar errors
    >
    > converting from en_GB to en_US eh? (-: Those Brits know nothing about
    > English! (just being facetious)

    To put things as logically as I possibly can hopefully in a way that makes
    sense to programmers: Websters American dictionary considers spellings for
    words such as colour and color both to be valid, British dictionaries only
    consider the word colour to be valid. Better to use the standard
    considered valid by both than to have to do things twice.

    Please avoid "correcting" spellings that are already correct. Standard
    English should be used as much as possible to avoid the need for
    duplication of effort and different localised versions.

    /me wished he had never needed to do a Standard English localisation of
    Abiword.

    -- Alan