Re: Updates for AbiWord Manual: Does someone want to commit these?

From: Ryan Pavlik (abiryan_at_ryand.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 22:42:34 EST

    Mark Gilbert wrote:

    >>>If something changed it couldn't hurt.
    >>>

    >>Do we have a standard for this? Ie. mixing Win32 and GTK screenshots for example would be quite inconsistent...
    >>If not, maybe we (read: Ryan) should write one...
    >>

    >In theory the dlgs should be almost entirely consistent but if the
    >screenshots are annotated, or if in cases of substantial differentiation
    >both are presented as minimalistically as possibly, it doesn't matter.
    >And whoever's writing the documentation should use whatever is most
    >convenient and if another shot is necessary it can always be added later
    >by someone on the appropriate platform. Function over form, as dom said
    >in irc about the docs just last night.
    >
    >If you have a specific instance to point out where the above 'policy' is
    >inadequate, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it with you and
    >draft a more comprehensive policy and add it to howtodocs.abw.
    >
    >Thanks for bringing that up though
    >-MG

    WRT platform inconsistencies, I plan on putting one overview screenshot
    from each platform at the top of the tutorial, then using whatever's
    convenient (ie, already there or Windows) for anything later, realizing
    that the user will probably see the first screen, say, "Hey, that looks
    like my screen!", then be able to figure out the little appearnce
    differences between platforms from then on.

    Ryan