Re: Is GTK24 really needed?

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 10:22:03 EST

    Hi Petr,

    > I'd like to ask, if it is really 100% necessary to
    > have
    > GTK24 branch? Wouldn't some #ifdef's be better
    > solution?

    We have a GTK24 branch so that we can play with GTK2.4
    as well as some other things, such as libgsf. Right
    now it is a developer's playground.

    > Will AbiWord-2.2 require gtk-2.4?

    No, it will not. A future version of AbiWord will
    require Gtk 2.4.

    > In my oppinion the only thing where gtk-2.4 really
    > matters
    > is the new filechooser. It would be nice OTOH, if
    > abiword
    > didn't force the users to use the latest gtk, if it
    > could
    > work without major problems with the older one.

    Important new widgets include:

    *) combo-box
    *) file selector
    *) toolbar
    *) menu actions

    I've heard too many complaints that our toolbar is too
    wide. So we'll use the new GtkToolbar API eventually.
    The combo-box supports auto-complete. This means that
    we could "auto-complete" font names. It's not
    essential, granted, but it's a nice little feature for
    our users. It is "polish."

    > And besides, maintaining yet another branch doesn't
    > seem like a very good idea.

    You're not maintaining it; there's no reason for you
    to complain. Let us have our fun.

    Best regards,
    Dom

    =====
    I think the problem with the Democratic Party in general is that they've been so afraid to lose they're willing to say whatever it takes to win. And once you're willing to say whatever it takes to win, you lose. - Howard Dean

    http://www.deanforamerica.com/