Re: Commit (HEAD): Psion exporter enhancements

From: Frodo Looijaard (frodol_at_dds.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 16:39:05 EST

    On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:53:19PM +0100, Marc Maurer wrote:
    > > Note that AbiWord CVS has psiconv-0.8.3 plus enhancements, and it will not
    > > work. Configure will detect whether you can build the module.
    >
    > Do you need any of those 'enhancements' from our tree? If not, we will remove the peer psiconv module from our tree.

    AbiWord 2.1 uses psiconv 0.9.x (0.9.4 or later at the moment)
    AbiWord 2.0 uses psiconv 0.8.x (0.8.3 or later at the moment)

    Psiconv 0.9.x and psiconv 0.8.x are *not* compatible. They use different
    major library version numbers, but worse, they are not even
    source-compatible. So AbiWord 2.0 will simply not compile with psiconv
    0.9.x.

    Keeping two CVS trees has always been a challenge, so I propose we throw
    away the AbiWord Psiconv CVS tree for current HEAD (that is, AbiWord 2.1
    and later). Anyone who wants to contribute to Psiconv can get a CVS key
    for my tree.

    For AbiWord 2.0, I propose we keep the AbiWord Psiconv CVS archive. The
    alternative would be for my local CVS tree to create a new branch, and
    to synchronise it with the changes in the AbiWord Psiconv tree, but I
    would rather spend my time on developing for the 0.9.x series.

    Once I am finished with the Psion importer/exporter for HEAD (it should
    not take too long anymore, most of the work is finished), we could port
    it to AbiWord 2.0. After that, we could get rid of the AbiWord Psiconv
    CVS tree (except that it would still be needed for pre-2.0 AbiWord
    versions). I am not sure, though, about the policies of changing the
    stable tree, so this might not be a good idea.

    Thanks,
      Frodo

    --
    Frodo Looijaard <frodol_at_dds.nl>  PGP key and more: http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol