Re: splash screen

From: Alan Horkan (horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 07:07:59 EST

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

    > Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:25:28 +0100
    > From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
    > To: abiword-dev_at_abisource.com
    > Subject: splash screen
    >

    > I really love Ryan's new splash screen; I would like to suggest to
    > make this the official splash screen.
    >
    > see it at http://www.ryand.net/oss/abi/splash.png

    My only problem is the version number.
    In the past version numbers on graphics have not been updated.

    If the version number and or build date could be generated by a script and
    automatically superimposed on the image I'd be a lot happier about it.

    Since Gnome supports startup notifcation (and KDE has done for ages too)
    and since Abiword is still extremely fast shouldn't we disable the splash
    screen because there is no techinical reason for having it? The marketing
    reasons that Sourcegear had for using it seem moot at this point.

    We will always have the About dialog for people to put nice artwork in
    (when I was just a beginner I thought the about dialog was the most
    pointless feature ever, as it actually tells you so little ABOUT the
    program although most programs are smart enough to use it to provide
    useful information like version numbers and build dates so I have come to
    accept that it isn't a total waste of space like a splash screen).

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan