Re: splash screen

From: Ryan Pavlik (abiryan_at_ryand.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 01:22:26 EST

    David Bolack wrote:

    >>Why not making AbiWord display it on top of the image ? It is pretty
    >>easy and we can do the code XP. :-)
    >>

    >Alternately, since it is SVG source (isn't it?) you could simply rebuild
    >the image by sedding a placeholder for a version number, can't you?

    Wow, this is rather surprising! I didn't think my little splash screen
    would get this much attention!

    Technically it is built from an SVG, but because I didn't know how to
    get the SVG to go directly to a 300x350 px image with a 2 px border (to
    match the old one), only Abi the Ant is SVG, exported to PNG, then
    wrangled (text, resize, etc) in Gimp 2.0. If it would be possible to
    put a few basic info things on it in XP code, that would be really
    cool. I know that Word has done this for quite a while, version and
    patch #, and license name. Assuming someone knows how to do that code,
    I could drop that text, then have version and "GPL Licensed - Please
    Redistribute!" in there covertly, in place of the Word "Copy this and we
    cut off your hands" text, and that would be spectacularly spiffy.

    (for future reference, I generally have many versions/file formats of my
    stuff at the www.ryand.net/oss/abi home page... in this case I've got
    the XCF for the splash up... :) )

    Also, it was suggested that I remove "and more", to return the slogan to
    "word processing for everyone." Discuss. :)

    Anyway, decide how you want it (I'll make one as soon as I get a chance
    with the Swoosh A instead of the doc icon) and I can make it. I'm kinda
    busy up till wednesday, but then everything should be sane again.

    Thanks for your positive feedback!

    Ryan