Re: TAB in tables.

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 11:02:56 CEST

Hi Martin,

I am entirely for having the TAB move to the next cell; I have never
used a word processor (apart from AW, that is) that does not behave
this way. I think it also makes excellent sense from usability point
of view. When working with tables, being able to move easily to the
next cell is essential and the TAB key allows me do that without
removing my hands from the normal typing position.

Furthermore, tab characters make only limited sense inside of tables -
- most tables are created precisely not to have to use tabs. In this
sense having the TAB key move from cell to cell in table context is
functionally equivalent to inserting a tab outside the table context.

In Word you still can insert a tab in a table; you use Ctrl+TAB to do
that. Also, hitting a tab at the end of last cell in table should
insert a new row as Word does; it just makes so much sense.

Tomas