TAB in tables.

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 04:31:08 CEST

Hi Folks,
           I think we need to have a debate TAB's in tables. The follow
duplicated bug describes the argument for change the behaviour to make
TAB's advance to next/previous cell instead on inserting a TAB
character.

The change require to implement this is quite easy. I could it in about
an hour so we just have to decide if we want this....
--------------------------------------
bug 6842

Standard behavior in most tables in most places would be that pressing
Tab moves
the insertion pointer into the next table cell, and Shift-tab moves the
pointer
into the previous cell. In AbiWord, it appears to treat it just like a
regular
tab, which doesn't work too well in tables, not to mention being
unexpected.

The argument against this is that we should strive to make abiword as
"modeless" as possible so that new users do not have to remember that
abiword behaves differently in different contexts. This make it easy to
use since you only have to learn one set of behaviour. (Which is why I
hate outline mode.)

Opinions?

I personally now think that we have to go with the MS behaviour even
though I personally think it's broken. The weight of the world is
pushing us this way.

Martin