Re: Stylist?

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 01:30:37 CEST

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Ryan Pavlik wrote:

> Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 16:31:22 -0500
> From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan@ryand.net>
> To: Mark Gilbert <mg_abimail@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>, abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: Stylist?
>

> Mark Gilbert wrote:
>
> >How where and why did we get a stylist in AbiWord? As far as I can
> >tell, that dialog is a list of styles, aka "style list". A stylist is a
> >formatting wizard/druid (ala mspub's wizards) or a flamboyant hair
> >dresser, not a list of styles.

I assume Martin took his lead from OpenOffice.org ...

hrrm wait, I'm probably thinking of the wrong thing and "Style List" is
really what is in question.

> >Have I missed something or was this just some accidental labelling that
> >managed to slip into our strings?
> >Is it too late to fix? If I have to be the one to make the changes
> >that's fine, but I do need to check with y'all first (if for no other
> >reason than that I've been out of the loop for a while).
> >
> >It may sound pedantic but that string is indeed misguiding, it increases
> >the likelihood of mistranslation, and it is conceivable that we could
> >have a stylist (style wizard) in the future (albeit quasidistant).

FYI "Wizard" is a Microsoft term, the recommended term for Gnome (and
Apple) applications is "Assistant" (and I thank you for not even
suggesting "Druid", a bad analogy taken too far).

> From what I've seen in screen shots, would a better name be "Style
> Tree"? Furthermore, when is it coming to Windows?

Sorry to be nitpicking but "Tree" is not a great choice to describe things
either. That it is implemented as a Dialog or a Tree is of little
relevance to a user. Developersget distracted by the implementation, but
what it does is more important than how it does it. Stylist is at least
clear to users familiar with OpenOffice (if it is the same kind of
functionality).

- Alan