Re: zoom (was Re: commit (head): 7610)

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 14:31:33 CET

Op ma, 01-11-2004 te 09:07 +0000, schreef Tomas Frydrych:

> On win32 zooming is meant to be done by changing the relative extents
> of the viewport and of the window; adopting this mechanism should not
> only get rid of the hinting problem, but we would get completely rid
> of the tlu -> tdu conversions, since by setting the extents of window
> and viewport appropriately will allow us to feed the win32 API our
> layout units.

[disclaimer: it's early, I can't formulate this as I would like]

I don't know if you want to do this.

For a start, this might result in different representations from other
platforms.

Furthermore, doing our own zoom instead of using the platform's one
works fine on other platforms, and will allow (i think) is less
discrepancy(?) between the build (like we have now: a lot of bugs are
only visible on win32).

As for the discrepancy thing, the result letting win32 do the A instread
of doing it ourselves are bugs like 7687.

As nice as the win32-can-zoom-for-us concept is, the not-invented-here
issue is bugging me.

> In order to do this, all zoom scalling would have to be moved inside
> the platform graphics classes -- in essence, all the tlu() and
> related methods should be protected.

Please don't start doing this without any mention as I'm working on a
large patch which will be a pain to merge if any of the tlu code is
touched.

Marc