Platform Comparisons with Word (was Re: win32 zoom)

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 00:38:35 CET

Charles Goodwin wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 08:51 +1100, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>

>>For what it's worth, it appears MS Word has similar issues with zoom as
>>abiword. ie fonts substantially change their appearence at different
>>zooms. Win32 users apparently have learned to put up with this.
>>

>Wouldn't it be nice if AbiWord did this correctly and MS Office didn't.
>
>Just a thought.

I had the "opportunity" to use Word:mac's latest version on a Panther
system (eMac 1.25 GHz G4). I could not believe how incredibly slow and
buggy Word was. Since it had been quite a while since I had used an
"updated" Word, I was amazed people actually pay good money for that,
and put up with its behavior. I promptly switched to using the AbiCocoa
nightly "development" builds that, aside from a little pixel dirt on
descenders, worked significantly nicer, and many times more
responsively, than Word.

--
Ryan Pavlik