Re: commit (head): 7197

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 08:37:26 CET

Hi Marc,

> Well, my question was a bit vague... IMO, the proper solution would be
> if messages were only handled when 'idle'.
>
> If we (purely hypothetical) add a grammar checker, which also pops up a
> dialog in a similar manner as the spell check code, we would need yet
> another flag for that to prevent the same issue...

OK, now I understand. The problem is that from the point of the OS we
probably appear iddle. At the point we display a dialogue, certainly
the MsgBox which has no call backs, we have passed control over to
the OS, which is at liberty to pump messages into our que. I do not
know if there is any generic solution to this, but any code that
raises dlg boxes in response to automated events (events that happen
without the user's direct request) has to be designed so as to handle
the eventuality of being executed safely in several simultaneous
instances.

> I might be just nitpicking here... The current fix is good enough (for
> now)

No, you are not; you are right that this is a more general problem
and we need to look for the best solution. (I am going to have
another look at the spell-checker tonight, I had some ideas how to
improve my current fix to avoid the SpellChecker::isCheckInProgress()
call from fl_DocLayout())

Tomas