Decisions, Decisions: AbiWord Icons and Branding for 2.2

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 04:25:16 CEST

Hello all! Glad to be with you.

We've pretty much all agreed that all stable releases (such as 2.2) will
now feature new Swoosh A art. I've worked on getting some stuff put
together in Inkscape, and when showing some of it to people in the irc
channel, I've ran into what may seem to be a consensus. I had
envisioned the 2.2 A icons featuring a pen, to match the splash screen.
However, in some sizes, the pen just makes it cluttered. It's been
suggested to remove the pen altogether from icons, since the A itself is
a strong enough connection, and I'm tempted to say that I agree.
However, we're talking vector art here, and so I can be flexible.

This is where you come in. I've posted to the new home of my Abi stuff,
http://www.cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/ , copies of the icons and such
that I've been working on for each platform. For most, I have a With
Pen/Without Pen pair. If I could get some feedback per platform on
which you all prefer, that would be great. Our platforms are:

Mac OS X - Globe style is pretty much a for certain, I think. This
platform is unique in that it features really massive icons at times.
Pen? No pen?
Gnome/Unix - Our current icon there features paper, and on this platform
that's not too bad. I have the option here of adding some paper back in
to the new unified icons. So there's an extra decision here.
Windows - Man, small icons, lousy perspectives, this platform is a bit
of a bother. We have both a document icon and an app icon here. I
really like the look of the no-pen doc icon, do we want the no-pen app
icon too? Last time Windows saw a Swoosh A, it was blocky and a
mismatched blue. Can we distinguish this new one better?

So let me know how you guys feel on this matter. More voices are good,
nobody will probably wield complete control on their own (except whoever
commits the art for me XD), and I can be flexible. Always looking for
more ideas!

(Keep your eyes peeled and check back at that page a few times in the
future. All my stuff, including GNOME Office stuff, will be linked to
from http://www.cleardefinition.com/oss/ , and we should have some fun
developments on these fronts soon!)

--
Ryan Pavlik