Re: Grammar Checking

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:14:14 CEST

Grr, hit the wrong reply button, this one cc's the list.

Alan Horkan wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Robert Staudinger wrote:
>

>>Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:07:22 +0200
>>From: Robert Staudinger <robsta@stereolyzer.net>
>>To: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
>>Cc: s.zeidel@utoronto.ca, abiword-dev@abisource.com
>>Subject: Re: Grammar Checking
>>

>>On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 16:13, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>>>

>>>I was actaully wondering about the color-blindness issue. What would be a
>>>better colour? Blue? Purple?
>>>

>blue (or purple) would probably look too confusingly similar to
>hyperlinks.
>

>>The HIG says that information should not be carried by colour only.
>>

>Combinding colour with a texture usually works, but not in this case
>unfortunately.
>
>Would black squiggles be clear enough or would they blend in with the
>text too much?

Well, in noticing a strange bug in HEAD, I got an idea. If we drew the
squiggly double-thick (as you can sometimes get it to do if you're
(un)lucky with the spelling system), it looks quite different, yet is
still recognizable as a proofing mark. Could this be implemented as a
real feature, as opposed to a misfeature? :) Color could be used as a
secondary cue.

>the easiest thing to do would be to make the colour configurable somehow.
>

>>A first suggestion would be to draw squiggles all around around the
>>phrase in question, not just underline. There might be better ways
>>though.
>>

>Grammar effects

affects (while we're on the topic of grammer ;P)

>whole sentences, so it might be possible to provide an
>indication that there is a mistake on the line by putting an indicator in
>the margin (I'm thinking like a spot or an arrow, I'm vaguely thinking of
>the debugger in Microsoft Visual studio), invoking the grammar tool would
>then provide you with more information.

There are some cases in which the existing proofer in Word will green
underline just one word or short phrase. If we go with this idea, which
I still like anyway, we would have to provide a way for the checker to
be invoked just on that instance or a small area, so that large
documents do not have to be fully checked in order to find out
information about the proofing results of one sentence.

>Sincerely
>
>Alan Horkan
>http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
>http://advogato.org/proj/OpenClipArt.org/