Re: Regarding the TOC dialog box in Unix

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:32:59 CEST

Jordi Mas wrote:

> En/na J.M. Maurer ha escrit:
>
>>> Hi Marc.
>>>
>>> Talking about the Unix Dialog... in my opinion, in the general tab,
>>> if you unmark the check 'Has Heading', the "heading text" text field
>>> and the "change style" button should be disabled because they only
>>> apply when the option "Has Heading" on. Gnumeric and other Gnome
>>> applications seem to follow this convention also. I think that is a
>>> good convention because the users can focus right away on the
>>> options that they can really change.
>>

>> Agreed. Will change this soonish.
>

> OK. Then you should have a look into all the Unix dialog boxes because
> there are more places were this issue has to be fix. For example, in
> the Insert Table dlg box.
>
> Jordi,

While we are on this topic, there are several dialog boxes on Windows
that when you click their default button, the window stays open but the
button's action is no longer valid. One of these (and one only) was set
to disable the button, but this behavior caused no button to have the
focus, breaking keyboard shortcut compatibility. If there is a
cross-platform way for me to implement a "SetFocus" type of event, this
would improve the interface many times over on Windows. My newfound
insight from most Windows users that if it can be clicked, they will
click it, and keep clicking if it doesn't do anything, our current
behavior. I would be happy to go through and add the code needed, but I
could not find out how to set the focus on one of our dialogs.

Ryan