Re: Regarding the TOC dialog box in Unix

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 15:31:25 CEST

>> Ah NO!
>>
>> The there is a long standing bug against the Insert Table dialog box
>> that
>> the units can't be changed.
>>
>> We should fix the Insert Table and format Paragraph dialog's to put
>> units
>> inside the entries. Certainly not the other way round.
>>
>> (The XP code we need to do this for TOCs is in place.) You have to hook
>> the iwindows up to use it. Look at the format column dialog where we
>> also
>> do this.
>
> Hello Martin,
>
> I think that the units should be a global setting in the Preferences as it
> is
> now and all the dialog boxes should use that setting. I mean, if you live
> in a
> country that uses the metric system I do not see the point swiching to
> other
> system just for a dialog box. I want my Office suite to work with one or
> the
> other . What you think?

Hi Jordi,
         It should certainly default to the users preference. In the case
of the TOC dialog it's actually a spin button. So there is some
extra functionality there.

Also one could imagine users wanting a finer adjustment than their global
preferences too. eg use pt's or mm instead of cm. Also they may be in a
nominally metric country like Canada but have to use paper defined in
terms of inches (like letter) or receive or produce documents defined in
inches.

Or for example live in Australia and have to send a document to a Country
that expects things in inhces (like the USA).

So giving users the option to use different units is good idea IMHO.