Re: Regarding the TOC dialog box in Unix

From: Robert Staudinger <robsta_at_stereolyzer.net>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 20:11:34 CEST

[...]

> Hi Jordi,
> It should certainly default to the users preference. In the case
> of the TOC dialog it's actually a spin button. So there is some
> extra functionality there.
>
> Also one could imagine users wanting a finer adjustment than their global
> preferences too. eg use pt's or mm instead of cm. Also they may be in a
> nominally metric country like Canada but have to use paper defined in
> terms of inches (like letter) or receive or produce documents defined in
> inches.
>
> Or for example live in Australia and have to send a document to a Country
> that expects things in inhces (like the USA).
>
> So giving users the option to use different units is good idea IMHO.

I would like to see consistant use of units in Abi as well (dropdown
selection vs. specifiaction in text entry) and consider tackling this
after the 2.2 release.

What do you think of having a global setting which can be overwritten by
a document specific setting? Some exceptions will probably remain, as
IMO lots of users would like to have font size in pt always.

Rob