Protection

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 13:17:18 CEST

Robsta brought a discussion about marking documents as modified * using an
asterisk to the usability mailing list and we got on to talking about how
to indicate if a document is read only (so far it looks like the idea will
be to append the string "(Read Only)" to the window title).

I have also been playing around with the "Lock Styles" feature in abiword,
also known as "View, Enable Formatting Tools" (I found this menu item
confusing and it I took me a while to find it as I expected it to be find
"Format, Lock Styles").

This got me thinking about Protected documents in general, not just read
only but documents with Locked Styles, or password Protection, or Images
locked in place or whatever other simple controls might fall under the
title "Protection".

Rather than have these controls in different places they could be gathered
into a single coherent dialog where users could choose to set some or all
of these controls. (I haven't checked Microsoft Word recently but it is
ditinctly possible that I came up with this idea because I've seen it
already).

What do you think?

Sincerely

Alan Horkan