Use of Abi layout engine outside of AW?

From: Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr_at_lazerware.com>
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 22:05:10 CEST

I have a project that requires a cross platform STATIC text layout engine
for C/C++, and given my history with this project, I have high hopes of
using the Abi tech for this...

However, I am curious if anyone has attempted such a feat....

I only need the core layout and rendering library to which I'll attach my
own GR_Graphics subclass to handle measurement, drawing, etc. I'll also do
my own file I/O - possibly doing on the fly conversion to Abi-XML and then
let the standard reader handle the complexities of building the doc.

So - any thoughts on whether this can be done w/o bringing in a lot of
overhead? Lightweight and speed are important criteria.

All comments/thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Leonard
P.S. Let's not go down the legal/licensing issues path here - we'll deal
with that after we determine if the technical aspects are solvable first.