Re: Commit (HEAD): Hack: default to en-US help files

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 20:46:20 CEST

Op zo, 26-09-2004 te 13:51 -0400, schreef Kenneth J. Davis:
J.M. Maurer wrote:
> > Hack: Default to en-US help files on www.abisource.com when
requesting
> > help files in a locale that does not exist. Better than 404-ing.
> >

> Would it not be better to adjust the webserver and not hard code
> supported languages? This way if new languages become available,
> they are instantly accessable without upgrading Abi.

I can't think of a non-hackish way to fix this on the webserver as
well...

> Just curious, as this feature was originally meant for those who
> get just the AbiWord.exe binary (or more specifically install AbiWord
> and choose not to install the help files, but then try to access
them),
> anyone have an idea of how many people really use the web docs
[invoked
> from within AbiWord] and not locally installed ones?

None of the linux packages include help files. Even not those coming
from RedHat and the like.

NB: imo we should move to DocBook for manuals, so the normal translation
teams (from GNOME mostly) can work with us to help translate our docs...
any reason NOT to do this?

Marc