Re: Commit (HEAD): Hack: default to en-US help files

From: Kenneth J. Davis <PerditionC_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 00:55:56 CEST

Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, J.M. Maurer wrote:
>

>>I can't think of a non-hackish way to fix this on the webserver as
>>well...
>

> I guess you could have a list of known locales and for unknown locales
> provide a list of the available translations rather than trying to be too
> clever about trying to automatically redirect people.

Assuming we drop to just lang, then not clever but simple and requires
no web server configuration changes is a set of filesystem links
[use ln (or junction)] for supported languages without doc translations
pointing to appropriate existing one (though assumes the server is
configured to follow links).

> Ideally some complexity could be removed by considering the docs as
> "en" rather than en-US or en-GB (so that is by language rather than by
> locale?). I think i suggested something very similar in a bug report on
> this.

First the web sever has to support the docs at /help/lang/ (ie /help/en)
then the change is simple. I would have done it originally this way,
but it was meant as a small change and did not want to bother someone to
update the website for it. When en/ etc works, I will be
more than happy to make the minor change to the code, but if possible
the current links should continue to work (e.g. en/ and en-us/ refer to
same directory on web server) for our existing installed base.

> - Alan
> .

If only I could find the x86-64 CL... (and a hard drive :-)
Jeremy