Re: bit of help with bug #7397

From: James Whitwell <abacau_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 01:58:19 CEST

On 26/09/2004, at 10:22 PM, Francis James Franklin wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2004, at 12:07, James Whitwell wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out bug #7397 (Cocoa front end, new window is
>> too tall for the screen, goes under the dock). I think I've figured
>> out the cause, but I'm not sure what's the best way to fix it. No
>> doubt these'll seem like pretty trivial things to worry about, but
>> I'm new. :) The problem seems to be that the height of the toolbar
>> isn't taken into consideration when setting the window height. The
>> Windows code seems to do some calculations to figure out how big it
>> can make the document window, but I can't see corresponding code in
>> the cocoa version. In xap_CocoaFrameImpl.mm, line 271, it uses
>> [NSScreen visibleFrame] to get the height of the screen minus the
>> dock and the menu bar. Should there be a bit more after that to
>> subtract the toolbar height? What happens when the toolbar is turned
>> on or off?
>
> I remember worrying about this. What happens if you're at maximum size
> and a toolbar is added? Do we reduce the size of the document window?
> Of all document windows?

I guess we have to, to make everything work right. Having the toolbar
as part of the window would make this a non-issue, obviously, since it
wouldn't be affecting the window height (just the internal client size,
or something).

> I think our toolbars are very un-Apple-UI (non-aquatic?) since the
> Cocoa approach is to integrate toolbars within the document window. I
> don't really like the normal Cocoa toolbars, though maybe we could
> integrate the two approaches, using our toolbars but within the
> document window...?

That's true (non-aqueous?), but I think Mac users are used to slightly
non-conforming UI. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Word, Photoshop all use
the toolbar at the top approach. It sounds like a lot of work, to move
our toolbar into the document window, don't you think?

The other thing that's been bugging me is that you can slide the window
title-bar underneath the toolbar, which is a bad thing.

> I started writing a Carbon-based toolbar creater/handler a year ago.
> These are panel windows with a window frame at the side - like
> MSOffice(Mac) toolbars - and since they are managed windows you don't
> have to worry about fixed toolbar & visibility.

Like the "Formatting Palette" in Word, or something else?

;) james.