Re: bit of help with bug #7397

From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster_at_alinameridon.plus.com>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 10:48:36 CEST

> I think Mac users are used to slightly non-conforming UI. Acrobat
> Reader, Microsoft Word, Photoshop all use the toolbar at the top
> approach. It sounds like a lot of work, to move our toolbar into the
> document window, don't you think?

Acrobat is slightly weird, with floating panel toolbars that are
'dock'-able at the top, but it does prevent document windows from
crossing the 'dock' at the at top.

> The other thing that's been bugging me is that you can slide the
> window title-bar underneath the toolbar, which is a bad thing.

Yes. I've always found that to be the biggest problem with our current
toolbar. You'll notice though that Word's document windows can slide
under the toolbars there, but since the toolbars can be moved it's not
a problem so much.

Anyway, perhaps have a look at NSWindow's constrainFrameRect:toScreen:
method.

>> I started writing a Carbon-based toolbar creater/handler a year ago.
>> These are panel windows with a window frame at the side - like
>> MSOffice(Mac) toolbars - and since they are managed windows you don't
>> have to worry about fixed toolbar & visibility.
>
> Like the "Formatting Palette" in Word, or something else?

I love the Formatting Palette in Word, but in this case I meant the
ordinary toolbars.

(The main issue with these is that we start incorporating Carbon into
what is currently a Cocoa project.)

Regards, Frank