Re: bit of help with bug #7397

From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster_at_alinameridon.plus.com>
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 14:22:31 CEST

On 26 Sep 2004, at 12:07, James Whitwell wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out bug #7397 (Cocoa front end, new window is too
> tall for the screen, goes under the dock). I think I've figured out
> the cause, but I'm not sure what's the best way to fix it. No doubt
> these'll seem like pretty trivial things to worry about, but I'm new.
> :) The problem seems to be that the height of the toolbar isn't taken
> into consideration when setting the window height. The Windows code
> seems to do some calculations to figure out how big it can make the
> document window, but I can't see corresponding code in the cocoa
> version. In xap_CocoaFrameImpl.mm, line 271, it uses [NSScreen
> visibleFrame] to get the height of the screen minus the dock and the
> menu bar. Should there be a bit more after that to subtract the
> toolbar height? What happens when the toolbar is turned on or off?

I remember worrying about this. What happens if you're at maximum size
and a toolbar is added? Do we reduce the size of the document window?
Of all document windows?

I think our toolbars are very un-Apple-UI (non-aquatic?) since the
Cocoa approach is to integrate toolbars within the document window. I
don't really like the normal Cocoa toolbars, though maybe we could
integrate the two approaches, using our toolbars but within the
document window...?

I started writing a Carbon-based toolbar creater/handler a year ago.
These are panel windows with a window frame at the side - like
MSOffice(Mac) toolbars - and since they are managed windows you don't
have to worry about fixed toolbar & visibility.

Thoughtful,
Frank