All math patches are all in; general HOWTO

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 22:42:49 CEST

First of all, the AbiMathView plugin now searches for a configuration
file called gtkmathview.conf.xml in the following locations:

1. ~/.AbiSuite/math ($USER_PROFILE\AbiSuite\math\ on win32)
2. $PREFIX/AbiSuite/math/ (c:\Program Files\AbiSuite\math on Win32)
3. $PREFIX/etc/gtkmathview (unix only)

>From bottom to top these files should override eachother (the on in the
user dir the most important), although this is not tested. The
configuration file comes with gtkmathview, and should be included in the
unix and win32 installers. If someone (at least on win32) could work on
that, that would be great. I'm on irc and willing to help.

WARNING: if the gtkmathview.conf.xml is not found, you system (well, at
least win32) WILL crash if you are not fast enough to kill AbiWord. Not
sure if gtkmathview or AbiWord is the problem here.

To compile the abimathview plugin, you'll need to have gtkmathview (CVS
HEAD) installed in a prefix where the plugin can find it. I used the
following command to compile gtkmathview (make sure to change the
prefix):

./autogen.sh && ./configure --prefix=/home/uwog/local/
--disable-boxml --disable-gmetadom --disable-libxml2-reader
--disable-custom-reader --enable-pipe --disable-tfm --disable-svg
--disable-gtk
--with-t1lib=no && make && make install

Then compile the abimathview plugin. Normal instructions should apply
here for both Unix and Win32.

To get the best looking fonts for use in the equations, install the
Computer Modern fonts. A nice msi installer (and plain ttf files) can be
found here:

  http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/

Note that distributing these fonts might be problematic; see the
license:

  http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/bakoma/license.txt

Luca, any "MIT" licensed style fonts out there? The above license would
prevent the fonts to be used in any commercial company (which is where
Abi is used too).

As the LaTeX style input does not work yet on win32, i'll attach my test
document. The Insert -> Equation -> MathML menu option should work just
fine (did not test it).

That's it for today,
  Marc