Re: CVS: commit dom abi/src/wp/impexp/unix ie_exp_PDF.cpp

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 16:39:35 CEST

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 06:30:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: CVS: commit dom abi/src/wp/impexp/unix ie_exp_PDF.cpp
>

> > Can the string be marked translatable but with a
> > comment that recommends
> > against translation? I imagine there will be some
>
> None of our importers/exporters are marked as
> translatable, and we're not going to single this one
> out.

That solves that then.

> "Rich Text Format", "PalmDoc", "Encoded Text", "Text",
> etc...

There are some words that might be worth translating carefully but doing
localisation badly or inconsistanty can nearly be worse than not doing it
at all (and smarter internationalisation can avoid entirely avoid the
need for it).

Still if enough translators were to ask for it and were careful not to
translate too literally it might be worth doing eventually (or inheriting
work already done from some more generalised Mime type system).

- Alan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/