Re: [Gtk]MathView under MacOSX

From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster_at_alinameridon.plus.com>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 22:44:33 CEST

Hi Luca,

I've been building gtkmathview a few times today, thinking about how to
make it work with AbiWord on OSX.

Two patches attached:

(1) [no-undefined] Adding -no-undefined to the libtool link flags makes
it build the libraries in a better way and prevents problems when
Unfortunately, since it uses gcc rather than g++ to link, this means
having to add -lstdc++ to the link line explicitly.

(Don't try adding -no-undefined to the svg-backend library. Btw, I
don't know, but see if adding -no-undefined eliminates the need for
static-variable hacks in CharTraits.icc.)

(2) [popt-framework] This adds the option to build gtkmathview against
popt if the latter has been built as a framework rather than a library.
This is very useful for AbiWord on OSX but is unlikely to be used
otherwise, so I'll understand if you don't want to commit this one to
gtkmathview.

Relocatable library:

My main concern at this point is the sysconf & pkgdata files associated
with gtkmathview. The way I want to package this library means that the
locations of these files is not known at compilation time. The trouble
is that these paths are hard-coded in the source or given as absolute
paths in the configuration file.

I think the path to the configuration file can be provided easily by
the abimathview plug-in to gkmathview, but I need a way to change the
path to the dictionaries. (I have a very hack-ish solution but, trust
me, you don't want to see it.)

Hopeful, Frank