Need help with AbiCommand

From: Tech Support <message_at_ptd.net>
Date: Mon Dec 26 2005 - 21:00:39 CET

This is probably a question for developers list.
Hello~

I have just installed abiword on the linux server that I have at a
webhosting company. I installed everything using just ssh, I don't have any
access to GUI or a monitor on that server.

The reason I installed it is because I want to be able to convert MS office
documents to HTML. I tried the wvware before, it's OK but does not preserve
font face and font size.

Abiword is doing a better job at converting to HTML.

Anyway, I tried abiword --to=html file.doc

It worked well, I am getting a high quality html document; however it takes
about 7 to 10 seconds to convert a simple short document.

I think it's because the program must be launched every time. I think it
will be faster if I use AbiCommand plugin. The problem is that I don't know
any examples how to use it.

Can anyone help me?

What I need is just 2-3 steps

1) Load a document
2) same a document as HTML.

Possibly I may have to start with creating a new document? I am not sure.

Anyway, how do I do it? Do I use a shell script? Can I do it in php using
popen()?

Also, what's that 'server' command I see in AbiCommand? Does it mean I can
start a abiword in the background and just keep re-using it so I don't have
to launch new instance of it for every document conversion? That would be
super!

I am hoping to hear from experts or developers on this one.

Thank you!