Re: Need help with AbiCommand

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 03:45:48 CET

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Tech Support wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:00:39 -0500
> From: Tech Support <message@ptd.net>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Need help with AbiCommand
>

> This is probably a question for developers list.
> Hello~
>
> I have just installed abiword on the linux server that I have at a
> webhosting company. I installed everything using just ssh, I don't have any
> access to GUI or a monitor on that server.
>
> The reason I installed it is because I want to be able to convert MS office
> documents to HTML. I tried the wvware before, it's OK but does not preserve
> font face and font size.
>
> Abiword is doing a better job at converting to HTML.
>
> Anyway, I tried abiword --to=html file.doc
>
> It worked well, I am getting a high quality html document; however it takes
> about 7 to 10 seconds to convert a simple short document.
>
> I think it's because the program must be launched every time. I think it

Quick answer ...

There is definately a 'server mode' for automated conversion of many
documents and it designed to be exactly what you are looking for.

(I'm on dialup < 56k otherwise I'd make an effort to provide more details
but knowing it exists should be enough to get you started. If you cannot
find it some one else may be able to help you futher.)

- Alan