RE: Need help with AbiCommand (fwd)

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 04:08:05 CET

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:59:32 -0500
From: Tech Support <message@ptd.net>
To: 'Alan Horkan' <horkana@maths.tcd.ie>
Subject: RE: Need help with AbiCommand

Thank you.

So far I was not able to make AbiCommand to work with most of commands. Only
the 'converttotext' worked.

I experimented with using Xvfb instead of normal display and it made
conversion about 3 to 4 seconds faster - from about 9 seconds down to about
4 seconds.

Basically I don't have access to this server, I don't see what's going on on
the screen, no monitor is connected to it anyway, so by using a virtual
display of just 1x1 size the abiword launches extremely fast. Still, it's
not a server mode, but it's pretty fast now.

Actually most of the 'conversion' to html time is spend by extracting images
from ms word (if any images are embedded)

If there are not embedded images, then conversion takes about 1 to 2
seconds, which is great!

That's another thing I don't undestand - why abiword is converting enbedded
jpg image to png format. I know it's using the wvWare for opening msword and
extracting images. But if I use wvWare as a standalone program, it does not
convert jpeg to png, which is just an extra work and totally unnecessary. I
mean if the original jpg is about 500K, then after conversion it becomes
about 1.5 MEGS

Just does not make sense.

It's really a bad idea! Not a bug, but just a bad idea!