Re: Commit (HEAD): Install in AbiWord-2.4, and bump version nr

From: Kenneth J. Davis <PerditionC_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 03:55:08 CET

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>
>> AbiWord 2.0 and 2.2 both install to Program Files\AbiSuite2 on Windows.
>

> you can change that at install time, can't you ?

Yes, and that is what people should do if they want a different
directory than the default. It is stored in the registry and
used for later uninstallation, etc.

>> Is there a chance we can get an AbiSuite2.4 directory or similar for
>> 2.4, or do we want to overwrite old (2.0.x, 2.2.x) versions?

we should be using AbiSuite\ and perhaps AbiWord2.4 within it...

> I see no reason why not IF we don't mess up regitry and install in
> another dir.
>
> Hub
>
> .

But we do 'mess up the registry' when installing, that is why only
one version of Abi installed at a time _is supported_. 2.0.x, 2.2.x,
and 2.4.x should all default to the same directory (for time being).
Note: as best I can tell, this fits mosts peoples usage, they
do not want two versions installed, but want to upgrade when
installing a newer version (but I could be wrong).

Technically one can install multiple versions, but the last version
installed will always be the one associated with Abi files, and
may replace the uninstall ability of other versions installed.
[I will try to get my updated installer work into the tree within
  a few weekends now that it is open for new features again.]

Jeremy